VMware Backup is a set of tools by VMware for constructing backup and recovery of data in a virtual environment. It backs up data from both virtual and physical machines on virtualized machines. It can either be done by transferring all the data over a network or executing the additional resources needed to be backed up.
Brief Description of VMware Backup
VMware backup consists of a set of tools and techniques that enables users to create backup and recovery data in a virtual environment. It comprises of creating data backup from virtual and physical machines onto a virtual machine. VMware Backup can be used by creating a backup on a network. For this purpose SolarisWinds for instance provides some tools and products like:
- VM Console
- VM Monitor
- Virtualization Manager
The best practices for VMware backup can be:
- Using snapshots for performing upgrades and backups to avoid data loss
- Using the ‘Smart Agent TM’ Technology to increase production machine performance.
- Install virtual drivers in each virtual machine
- Allow for Instant Restore of VMs
- Perform tests for restore points not only for backups
- Use the deduplication and compression techniques
- Be aware of the application
- Plan for cloud storage and replication